Friday, August 22, 2008

Sad news from Arizona

So I run into some people I know at the Farmer's Market at Thanksgiving Point today and they introduce me to friends of theirs from Mesa, AZ. Somewhere along the way this pleasant interchange turns into tragedy... they inform me that Matta's has closed its doors. The Institution, the Tradition, the Chips and Salsa, the Sandy's Special is gone. It's the end of an era for the Washburn family, and apparently many others as well.

Tonight while watching the Olympics (more relay teams bizarrely dropping batons - it's the Olympics for heaven's sake, hold onto your batons!) I looked it up online because I was still in disbelief and sure enough they closed back in January. They say they are reopening elsewhere and have already opened a Matta's Grill but I'm afraid it will never be the same. They could have warned us so we could have gone for a last meal, or at least "a chip". Will Filiberto's be next? Paula, you need to be more vigilant and let us know what's going on down south.


While I'm on a food topic... I was reminiscing the other night about tomato sandwiches while eating a wonderrful tomato sandwich with fresh garden tomatoes from Melanie and Kevin's garden and white Great Harvest Bread from the best bakery in the franchise. And as good as it was, which was really quite good, I have to say that the best tomato sandwiches I have ever had were made from garden fresh tomatoes from Dad's garden(s) in Grand Junction and the round white bread Mom baked in High-C Fruit Juice cans. Now those were some good tomato sandwiches. The other difference between then and now is that somewhere along the way I developed a definite preference for mayonnaise over Miracle Whip. Although sometimes I skip the bread and mayo altogether and just eat the tomato with salt and pepper, or occasionally drizzled with a little olive oil. It's hard to go wrong with a good, fresh, straight-from-the-garden summer tomato. Our neighbor, Bill Christensen, brought us some just the other day. I might have to go eat one right now.


Love to all,


Mike

No comments: