Saturday, May 31, 2008

Boys!

Isaac was playing out in the yard the other morning. I went out to check on him and I found him crouched down, looking intently at something on the driveway.

"Ike," I call, "whatcha got there?"

He looks over in my direction. "Sbleh bleh," he says standing. (Most of what Isaac says sounds like Sbleh bleh, it's a pretty versitle term, kind of like smurf or dude.)

"Sbleh bleh?" I ask as I walk over to him.

"Sbleh bleh," he confirms crouching back down and pointing.

I peer intently, my gaze following his finger.

"It's a spider," I say.

Now I am female but I find that I don't get all that worked up over spiders. In fact I had a very live and let live attitude even toward spiders in my house until I found a black widow. A big black widow. On my mop handle. About half an hour after I finished mopping (it had, very obviously been on the mop since I pulled it out to mop that morning). When I was six months pregnant. Since then I kill the arachnids in my home. But I still don't get too worked up about seeing spiders.

And this is the smallest spider ever. It is the size of an ant. Not one of those big ol' army ants, one of those teeny tiny itty bitty ants that you almost can't see. How this thing ever attracted the attention of my two-year-old son I have no idea.

"Sblehbleh," Ike repeats. (Obviously he was saying sblehbleh rather than sbleh bleh, silly mom.)

"Did you find a spider?" I ask.

"Yeah." (Probably the only word he says that someone who doesn't live with him would understand.)

"Is he a little baby spider?" Of course I'm talking in high pitched baby talk voice.

"Yeah."

"Is he cute?"

"Yeah."

"Do you like that little spider?" I ask innocetly.

"Yeah," he says. And then stands to his full hight of nearly two and a half feet. He lifts his cute little size 6 sneaker. And stomps on the spider.

*sigh*

2 comments:

Jabe said...

That post seems eerily familiar, except for the fact that it has actual names in it... ;)

Alison Wonderland said...

Oh hush. Just because you read my actual blog doesn't mean anyone else here does.